Nov 16, 2011

Cheap centerpiece vase DIY project

The bonding glue
A completed wedding arrangement vase
Having been to many weddings where the bride decides on an arrangement that's too tall to talk over, I knew I wanted something that was shorter, but still elegant. Also, my fear was that a tall arrangement would be quite expensive.

Another way for me to cut costs, (while still being able to give my guests the arrangements) was to do the bases myself.



Plastic floral arrangment  Bowls
I search and searched online for the perfect base. I wanted something that had a thin base and a wide top to hold the flowers. I couldn't really find the perfect base without spending a fortune on the vase/container.

Being a savvy DIY girl, I decided to figure out how to make my own perfect base on the cheap. I ended up with the perfect, elegant solution (& a crystal base!)

What you'll need:

How to:
Get your glass/plastic ready by cleaning it with a rubbing alcohol soaked cotton ball.
Open the glue and place a thin line around the rim of the candlestick top.
Center the plastic bowl and place it on top of the candlestick, pressing down firmly.
Set aside and wait for the glue to dry.  To make sure the bond is tight, place an object like a book or other medium weight object on top of the bowl.

Tips
*I tried one with gorilla glue when I started.  It will begin to bubble up and possibly eat away at the plastic.  Plastic will not bond well to glass when used with normal bonding agents.  Once it did dry, it looked horrible and bubbly and was easily pulled apart, not good for a centerpiece. I recommend the glue I used e-6000 craft glue.  It's a clear glue that bonds pretty strong and caused no bubbling issues.

Make sure to use the glue in a well ventilated area (or outside)

0 comments:

Post a Comment